Sunday, March 30, 2008

Gnarls Barkley: The Moody Brothers


$$$$$

Cee-Lo has a great deal of questions...
"who's gonna save my soul", "what would be on your mind if you knew you was dyin'", and of course, "does that make me crazy".

Whenever an album is anchored by a single, it seems like the ship doesn't move very far. Fortunately for Gnarls' debut lp, St. Elsewhere, there was enough substance to keep the boat sailing.

The Odd Couple is essentially St. Elsewhere without "Crazy" or any other breakout song. In fact, I was three songs into it before I realized I wasn't listening to Elsewhere.

Danger Mouse is an excellent producer, but sampling other music often stifles lyrical creation. At times it feels like Cee-Lo rummaged the dictionary to match words with the pre-defined rhythm.

It took over a decade for the pair to collaborate, and I think they should wait another before they decide to do it again.
But hey, maybe I'm crazy $

No comments: